Relocate the Lightroom Catalog
I often get asked 'How do I move my Lightroom catalog from one disk to another and keep all of my ratings, edits and keywords'.
An easy way in Lightroom is as follows:
- Open your original Lightroom catalog on the old disk
- Change to the Library Module Grid View
- Make sure you Include Photos from Subfolders which is selected in the Library menu
- Then Select All from the Edit menu to highlight all of the thumbnails in the catalog
- Now choose Export as a Catalog from the File menu
- In the dialog box that appears (shown below), select Include available previews and Export Negative Files
- Set the destination to the Lightroom Pictures folder on your new drive.
- Finally, open the newly exported catalog on the new drive in Lightroom
Note you can also use this method for importing a new catalog - which might be from your Laptop whilst out shooting, to your main Catalog on your home machine.
I Hope this helps ...
Return to Library Module Tips
Main Lightroom Tips Library